Dynamic playables allow you test various creative configurations within a single playable ad, without needing to re-download or submit multiple ads to the ad network.
By using a dynamic playables you are able to test up to 256 permutations (unique creative configs) of your ad. Luna will dynamically update the playable in real-time and monitor the ad performance, until we are able to determine which permutation is driving the best results for your campaign.
Depending on your creative goals, Luna allows you to choose how to optimise your dynamic playable ads.
- IPM - optimise for installs
- CTR - optimise for clicks
Learn how to change your optimisation metric here.
How does it work?
When creating playables with Luna, you are able to tag various elements within your game to use as playable variables. For example, you could tag the colour of your main character, or the level you want you user to play; these can then be edited to created unlimited variations of your playable in Luna Playground.
When creating a Dynamic playable, instead of selecting unique values for each of your in-game elements, you are able to input multiple values.
Once created you can download the dynamic playable, you will deliver that to the ad network as a single file. When the ad goes live, Luna connects to the playable via client-to-server communication and notifies the playable with the permutation to be served for this specific ad impression based on historical performance metrics.
- Create a dynamic playable.
- Select the variable values you want to test, which will create a number of possible permutations (256 max).
- Select your optimisation metric and sample size.
- Download the file and upload this to the network of choice.
- Once live, the ad communicates with Luna and will be notified of the permutation to be served for each ad impression.
- Luna monitors the performance of each permutation being tested, and updates the delivery algorithm to ensure the best performing ad receives the most traffic. To do this, Luna uses your optimisation metric.
- Each permutation is tested.
- The final winning permutation will now serve 100% of traffic.
- Single playable
Here we see the a playable ad, with single values of each of the in-game variables.
When this ad is set live, the background colours will be black and navy blue.
- Dynamic playable
In the above example, we have chosen a selection of values for the background colours, which equate to 9 possible permutations.
When this ad is set live, Luna will test all 9 permutations until the test is concluded and a winner is found.
- Linked Variables
There may be a situation where you want to define a select group of combinations, and not have unwanted overlaps.
In this case, you may add these variables into a new Playground Group, and enable Linking. In doing this, every variation will be explicitly linked to a single variation of the other variables in the group.
- Dynamic playable status
When dynamic playable ads go live, you can view the status of each permutation that's being tested.
Each permutation can have one of the these three statuses:
- Default - is the version Luna shows if a configuration of a playable failed to load.
- Completed - means it has been tested and not currently being shown.
- Live - is still being tested or is the current wining configurations of the ad.
When to use dynamic playable ads
Dynamic Playable ads allow you to test a large number of creative variations in a short period of time, whilst automating the performance optimisation.
Therefore, we recommend using this format if your playable ad contains a large number of creative options such as, but not limited to:
- Texts (i.e. tutorial text)
- End card styles
When not to use dynamic playable ads
We recommend that you do not use dynamic playable ads to control the click behaviour of your ad i.e. testing whether the playable has 3-clicks or 4-clicks. Such changes drastically impact the experience in the ad, will draw unreliable conclusions from a dynamic playable test and may affect the network's delivery algorithm.
Currently, dynamic playables are supported on the following ad networks:
- Mraid Ads
- Unity Ads
Here are some best practices we have collected when using dynamic playables:
- Use one dynamic playable per Network and Operating System for best results i.e. Unity Ads - iOS, Unity Ads - Android.
- Keep your playable ads and interactive end cards (IEC) as separate dynamic playable versions.